IMPACT Training – New Dates Announced
After the success of the open sessions held from January to May , new dates have been announced. These are:
Wednesday 5th September – Limited places left
Wednesday 3rd October
Tuesday 6th November
Wednesday 5th December
Open sessions will be delivered at ASH Scotland’s offices (8 Frederick Street, Edinburgh EH2 2HB). These sessions will be attended by people from many different organisations.
Each training session will start at 10am and finish at 12pm, with doors open and refreshments available from 9.30am.
To equip workers supporting people with lived experience of mental health problems with the knowledge, skills and confidence to initiate a conversation on smoking and discuss options for supporting people who are ready to quit.
This course will:
• Increase knowledge of the of the harm caused to people with mental health problems, including the effects of smoking on medications.
• Increase awareness of the wider links between smoking and inequalities.
• Increase confidence to initiate discussions on smoking, including the IMPACT guidance and practical application of other tools and techniques.
• Outline the importance and relevance of your role in discussing smoking with people of lived experience of mental health problems, as well as your role in providing ongoing support.
• Provide an overview of local stop-smoking support options including: behavioural support, nicotine and non-nicotine containing products (which can assist in a quit attempt) and policy.
This training is primarily designed for staff working within third-sector organisations where there are significant numbers of people with lived experience of mental health problems using their service.
The course comprises a one-hour online session and a two-hour face-to-face session. There will be an option to have the online session as a stand-alone module – but we would always recommend completing the course, where possible, by attending the face-to-face session.
Please note that our training room is situated on the first floor of our building. As this is in the New Town of Edinburgh, there is no lift access available and people with some health problems or disabilities may have difficulty accessing this room. Please contact us if this affects you, and we will be happy to discuss making alternative arrangements for you to access the training.